Providing improved performance, lower costs and reduced VOC’s, NYCO brand wollastonite is growing in popularity as a mineral reinforcement for paints and coatings. Due to its unique chemistry and structure, wollastonite allows formulators to improve the cohesive strength of their coatings to obtain better corrosion and barrier properties, extend in-can stability and improve thermal stability at high temperatures.
Specialty chemical modifications added to the wollastonite substrates further enhance adhesion and mechanical properties at cost savings compared to traditional corrosion pigments.
PHYLLOMAT, a lamellar, amorphous aluminosilicate, is a specially engineered mineral additive designed to replace zinc dust in powder coatings for cost savings and performance. Due to its lamellar structure, low specific gravity and non-hazardous characteristics, it offers lower cost due to better paint coverage, gives higher gloss and is less abrasive compared to zinc dust.
Key benefits of wollastonite in paint and coatings include:
- primary and/or synergistic corrosion inhibitor
- improved adhesion and barrier properties
- zinc dust replacement
- reduced cracking and checking
- improved scratch resistance and scrubability
- thermal stability (high temperature coatings)
- thermal shock resistance and emissivity
- very efficient matting agent