Providing improved performance, lower costs and reduced VOC’s, Imerys wollastonite is growing in popularity as a mineral reinforcement for paints and coatings. Due to its unique chemistry and structure, wollastonite allows formulators to improve the cohesive strength of their coatings to obtain better corrosion and barrier properties, extend in-can stability and improve thermal stability at high temperatures .
Specialty chemical modifications added to the wollastonite substrates further enhance adhesion and mechanical properties at cost savings compared to traditional corrosion pigments.
Key benefits of wollastonite in paint and coatings include:
- primary and/or synergistic corrosion inhibitor
- improved adhesion and barrier properties
- zinc dust replacement
- reduced cracking and checking
- improved scratch resistance and scrubability
- thermal stability (high temperature coatings)
- thermal shock resistance and emissivity