Imerys wollastonite’s reinforcing properties, thermal stability, low resin demand and chemical purity make it an ideal reinforcement in thermoplastics, engineering alloys, thermosets and elastomers. Due to its acicular structure, wollastonite increases flexural modulus, mar/scratch resistance and heat distortion temperature while reducing CLTE and shrinkage. Composites containing fine wollastonite exhibit a good balance of impact strength, high elongation and polymer structure rigidity. New ultrafine, high strength reinforcements offer compounders weight reduction to achieve lower density composites. A variety of custom chemical modications are available from organo silanes to wetting agents to further improve mechanical properties, processing and handling.
Key Benefits in Reinforced and Filled Systems Include:
- High strength, weight reduction
- Improved mar and scratch resistance
- Odorless, no volatiles
- Replacement/extension to milled glass fiber
- Extension for chopped glass and synthetic reinforcements
- Extension to milled carbon fiber (NYLITE)
- High stiffness promoting improved HDT
- Lower composite CLTE – no gap
- Low permeability properties and improved chemical resistance
- Excellent additive reinforcement to achieve VO/FR rating
- Improved dimensional and thermal stability
- Naturally occurring and safe
New high strength NYGLOS® 4W 10992 wollastonite for polyolefin applications for automotive, transportation, appliance and furniture applications called gives better stiffness, HDT, lower CLTE with superior mar scratch resistance versus competitive minerals.
NYGLOS 4W 10992 is an ultrafine, high aspect ratio wollastonite, chemically modified with a new treatment to provide compounders with improved feeding and dispersion with scratch resistance “Erichsen Cross Cut Delta” L- 10 N.
NYGLOS 4W 10992 is non-toxic and odorless, having no volatiles or incompatibility with additives over a wide range of compounding conditions. Downstream side feeding into the melt is required to optimize performance and percent loading levels by weight vary depending on the engineering standard/composite requirements.
Imerys is a leader in chemically modified wollastonite with over 60 years of experience.