Imerys Steel Casting Fluxes are engineered materials used for continuous casting and bottom pouring of steel. They are available in granular or powder form, and sold under the brand names ACCUTHERM and MELUBIR. They are applied to the mold during the continuous casting process of steel and play an important role in the end product quality and safety of the process. Products are designed according to the operational parameters, steel grade and quality requirements for each customer to provide optimum:
- Lubrication by preventing the solidified surface of the steel from sticking to the mold.
- Thermal Insulation to avoid premature solidification of the meniscus
- Control of heat transfer in the mold to prevent surface defects
- Absorption and dissolution of non-metallic inclusions for steel cleanliness
- Protection of the steel meniscus from re-oxidation