Imerys wollastonite’s unique chemical and structural composition has made it a performance reinforcement for the construction industry. The only naturally occurring, white, non-metallic mineral that is acicular (needle-like) in shape, wollastonite enhances strength and increases durability in a range of construction materials including concrete, stucco, EIFS systems, patching compounds and adhesives. It also provides added dimensional stability, sag resistance and resistance to cracking from drying and freeze thaw effects.
Wollastonite’s chemistry is a key advantage in applications requiring a calcium and silica source for reactivity to improve bonding and, because of its very low carbonate content, in efforts to reduce CO2 emissions. Wollastonite also offers significant health advantages over asbestos and other minerals.
Benefits in Construction
- Higher Compressive and Flexural Strength
- Improved Dimensional Stability
- Lower Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion
- Micro Reinforcing for Reduced Cracking
- Increased Weatherability
- Improved Mar/Scratch Resistance
- Key Ingredient in the Replacement of Asbestos and Other Fibers
- ASPECT® – Chemically Modified/Untreated, Fine Particle Size, High Aspect Ratio
- HARRP – Coarse Grades of Untreated Wollastonite from Mexican Operation
- NYAD® – Untreated Wollastonite
- NYGLOS® – Chemically Modified/Untreated Wollastonite