Theoretical and experiential training of Athens employees in road safety issues
In January 2017 a significant training took place in Kifissia premises. The Road Safety Institute (R.S.I.) “Panos Mylonas” conducted a 3-hour training about safe driving entitled “AVENUE – Actions for Vulnerable, Elderly, Novice drivers and road Users in Europe – for Traffic Safety”. This training is of high importance, since traffic accidents are one of the main reasons of death worldwide.
This training was a complete educational road safety program consisting of two parts, one theoretical and one experiential. During the first part, a presentation was made informing and sensitising company’s employees about road safety issues, including educational – informative videos and using coaching method approach. The knowledge and facts that came up in the theoretical part were proven in experiential training, where all employees made use of high-tech simulators and appropriate equipment.
Each employee had the opportunity to experience:
- distraction into doing simultaneous things (Distract-a-match)
- the driver’s reaction time and braking distance under different conditions (Reaction test)
- distraction while driving (Driving simulator)
- the risk of driving under the influence of alcohol (Alco goggles)
- the impact of weight during a collision (Collision weight scale)
- the sense of risk and the importance of seatbelt during rollover (Roll-over car simulator)
- the sense of risk and the importance of seatbelt during collision (Belt sledge simulator)
All the above-mentioned tests, activities and simulators made the training and awareness more direct and effective. At the end of the training, informational brochures were distributed to all participants. This event was attended by 120 participants in total and it was mutually agreed that it raised awareness, changed wrong driving behaviors and formed a base for further information on road safety issues.